The Embassy has received reports of a daytime march scheduled for Saturday, July 1. Specific gathering points and routes remain unclear at this time and are often coordinated only hours beforehand. U.S. Embassy personnel have been advised to avoid the following areas:
- Distribuidor Santa Fe
- Plaza Las Américas
- Plaza Brion, Chacaíto
- Bello Monte
- Unicentro El Marqués
U.S. citizens are strongly encouraged to monitor local news constantly. Affected areas often experience traffic disruptions, and it is also reasonable to expect the heavy presence of police/security forces.
The Embassy strongly cautions all U.S. citizens to avoid protest areas and are reminded that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Recent protests have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas and sometimes rubber bullets. U.S. citizens are urged to avoid areas of demonstrations, and to exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news and media stations for situational updates. U.S. citizens in all parts of Venezuela are urged to maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For more information:
- See the State Department’s travel website (http://travel.state.gov) for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Venezuela.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)(https://step.state.gov/step) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Venezuela, located at Calle F con Calle Surapure, Lomas de Valle Arriba, at +58 212-975-64113:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 0212-907-8400.
- Call 1-888-407-4747toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.