U.S. diplomats are restricted to the Valle Arriba and Santa Fe areas in Caracas until further notice.
A bridge in Las Mercedes has been blocked by demonstrators in both directions.
The Embassy has received reports of demonstrations following an apparent attempted rebellion at a military base in Valencia (2hrs west of Caracas). Venezuelan military commanders claim that the incident has been controlled.
In Caracas, there are reports that civilians have blocked the Autopista Prados del Este highway near the Distribuidor Santa Fe Southbound towards La Trinidad.
The Embassy strongly cautions all U.S. citizens to avoid protest areas and are reminded that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Recent protests have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas and sometimes rubber bullets. U.S. citizens are urged to avoid areas of demonstrations, and to exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. Affected areas often experience traffic disruptions.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news and media stations for situational updates. U.S. citizens in all parts of Venezuela are urged to maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For more information:
• See the State Department’s travel website or the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Venezuela.
• Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
• Contact the U.S. Embassy in Venezuela, located at Calle F con Calle Surapure, Lomas de Valle Arriba, at +58 212-975-6411 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 0212-907-8400.
• Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444<tel:(202)20501-4444> from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
• Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.