An official website of the United States government

February 27, 2018

The Venezuela Affairs Unit usually recruits for this program in March.

Program description

The Fulbright Visiting Scholar program offers Venezuelan researchers and professors with a Doctorate degree the opportunity to carry out scientific research. The Fulbright program aims to bring successful professionals to the United States for a professional development experience, leadership learning, and cultural exchange. Selected candidates must commit to return to Venezuela as leaders from their field of study. More information: https://www.cies.org/program/fulbright-visiting-scholar-program


Candidate Profile

  • Have a university academic doctor’s degree (PhD.)
  • Venezuelan citizen who resides in Venezuela
  • Have an intermediate-advanced level of English
  • Have a minimum of 5 years of full-time professional experience related to the academic degree
  • Not have attended a graduate program in the United States for one academic year or more
  • Not have dual U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status in the United States
  • Not be an employee of the United States Department of State or be an immediate family member of an employee (including spouses)

The program offers

Coverage for research funds at the designated University, maintenance and health insurance, airfare ticket from the city of origin to the United States and back, process of J1 visa.

Documents required for online application:

  • Copy of a valid Venezuelan passport
  • Letter of interest in English (500-1000 words)
  • Curriculum vitae in English
  • Research proposal in English (3 to 5 pages)
  • Certified copy of the bachelor’s degree / B.A. / B. S / Master / Doctorate or graduation certificate (it will be requested translated into English by a certified translator later)
  • Certificate of Bachelor’s Notes / B.A. / B. S / Master / Doctorate (it will be requested translated into English by a certified translator later)
  • Two letters of recommendation in English or translated by a certified translator (a letter from the current employer, another academic or work reference from a colleague or former supervisor)
  • TOEFL / IELTS test results taken in the last 2 years (if you have it available)

More Information

For more information contact us at: VAUCultural@fan.gov