Message for U.S. Citizens
NOTICE REGARDING SOCIAL SECURITY SERVICES (Sept 29, 2017)
The Social Security Administration (SSA) has consolidated its overseas operations into several regional offices that provide a full range of SSA services for U.S. citizens residing outside of the United States. Effective October 1, 2017, individuals residing in Caracas, Venezuela who require social security services or have questions about SSA benefits must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in San Jose, Costa Rica, rather than FBU Caracas.
Please, be advised that as of October 1, U.S. Embassy in Caracas can no longer accept telephone calls, emails, or walk-in consultations regarding Social Security issues.
For more information or any questions about the services provided at the FBU inSan Jose, Costa Rica and how to contact them, please visit their webpage at: https://cr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/. You can also reach them at the Fax Number: 506-2291-1032, or email SJRegion@ssa.gov. For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s webpage, “Service Around the World”.
If you are already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments.
For more information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Venezuela.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) (https://step.state.gov/step) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Venezuela, located at Calle F con Calle Surapure, Lomas de Valle Arriba, at +58 212-975-6411 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 0212-907-8400.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.