The U.S. Embassy in Caracas would like to inform all U.S. citizens in Venezuela that a kidnapping occurred the evening of Sunday, October 22, 2017 at approximately 8:00 PM on the Carretera Vieja de Baruta near the Centro Comercial Valle Arriba. As always, the Embassy encourages all U.S. citizens living in and traveling through Venezuela to remain vigilant at all times and to practice good personal security.
On October 22, 2017, at approximately 8:00 PM, four armed men kidnapped a male subject near the Valle Arriba Golf Club on the Carretera Vieja de Baruta. Four males intercepted the victim while driving along this road and kidnapped him at gunpoint, then took him to an undisclosed location. This event has all the trademarks of an “Express Kidnapping.”
U.S. citizens are urged to review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news and media stations for situational updates. U.S. citizens in all parts of Venezuela are urged to maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For more information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Venezuela.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Venezuela, located at Calle F con Calle Surapure, Lomas de Valle Arriba, at +58 212-975-6411 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 0212-907-8400.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.