US Embassy Caracas informs U.S. citizens that countrywide rallies are expected to take place on Saturday March 12, 2016. The opposition rallies in Caracas will commence at 10:00 A.M. Supporters are expected to gather in the following areas: Plaza Brion (Chacaito), Plaza Alfredo Sadel (Las Mercedes), Parque del Este and Calle Elice (Chacao).
Also, an “Anti-Imperialist” rally has been announced by the government and is expected to start at 09:00 A.M. on Avenida Libertador, continue through Avenida Universidad, arrive at Palacio de Miraflores, and then continue to Plaza O’Leary for a final rally.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For more information:
- See the State Department’s travel website (http://travel.state.gov) for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Venezuela.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) (https://step.state.gov/step) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Venezuela, located at Calle F con Calle Surapure, Lomas de Valle Arriba, at +58 212-975-6411 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 0212-907-8400.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.