The Embassy has received reports of multiple, possibly conflicting events scheduled this weekend. The Opposition plans to hold a nation-wide straw poll July 16 against the constituent assembly with thousands of polling centers. Simultaneously, the government will hold a dry run of the July 30 constituent assembly elections. Expect polling sites to have increased activity and traffic, especially on Sunday, July 16 (7 a.m. – 4 p.m.).
U.S. Embassy personnel are restricted to their residential areas in the Valle Arriba and Santa Fe neighborhoods on July 16. The Embassy strongly cautions all U.S. citizens to avoid polling locations throughout the weekend.
U.S. citizens are strongly encouraged to monitor local news constantly. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. It is reasonable to expect the heavy presence of police/security forces at polling locations. Clashes involving Venezuelan security forces at these sites are possible. Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news and media stations for situational updates. U.S. citizens in all parts of Venezuela are urged to maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For more information:
- See the State Department’s travel website (http://travel.state.gov) for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Venezuela.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) (https://step.state.gov/step) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Venezuela, located at Calle F con Calle Surapure, Lomas de Valle Arriba, at +58 212-975-6411 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 0212-907-8400.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.