The U.S. Embassy in Caracas informs all U.S. citizens in Venezuela that the policy regarding the movements of U.S. diplomats and their family members in Caracas and elsewhere in Venezuela has been updated. As always, the Embassy encourages all U.S. citizens living in and traveling through Venezuela to remain vigilant at all times and to practice good personal security.
To elevate levels of safety, traveling in large groups is highly recommended. Therefore, effective immediately, U.S. diplomats’ travel outside the Embassy’s housing area between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m. in a single, unarmored car is prohibited. Additionally, all U.S. diplomats are required to be out of public venues and physically located within the Embassy’s housing area from 2:00 a.m. until 6:00 a.m.
A complete list of movement restrictions is available on the Country Specific Information for Venezuela page under “Safety and Security.”
The Embassy strongly cautions all U.S. citizens to avoid protest areas; even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Recent protests have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas and sometimes rubber bullets. U.S. citizens are urged to exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. Affected areas often experience traffic disruptions.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news and media stations for situational updates. U.S. citizens in all parts of Venezuela are urged to maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For more information:
- See the State Department’s travel website (http://travel.state.gov) for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Venezuela.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)(https://step.state.gov/step) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Venezuela, located at Calle F con Calle Surapure, Lomas de Valle Arriba, at +58 212-975-6411 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 0212-907-8400.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.