United States Embassy Caracas, Venezuela
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Nationwide Military Exercises Scheduled for August 26-27 (August 24, 2017)
The U.S. Embassy in Caracas advises U.S. citizens to be aware that exercises by the Venezuelan military are scheduled throughout the country the weekend of August 26-27 in apparent reaction to recent U.S. Government comments on Venezuela. These exercises will include the registration of civilian participants as well as arms training. U.S. citizens should be aware that these exercises may include civilians displaying firearms (and/or replicas). Specific exercises have been announced for the eastern states of Anzoátegui, Monagas, and Sucre.
For safety reasons, the U.S. Embassy recommends U.S. citizens avoid areas where these exercises are occurring. The Embassy recommends monitoring traffic reports and local news for information on the exercises and taking preventive measures to avoid them.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news and media stations for situational updates. U.S. citizens in all parts of Venezuela are urged to maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For more information:
- See the State Department’s travel website (http://travel.state.gov) for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Venezuela.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) (https://step.state.gov/step) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Venezuela, located at Calle F con Calle Surapure, Lomas de Valle Arriba, at +58 212-975-6411 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 0212-907-8400.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.