United States Embassy Caracas, Venezuela
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Opposition March Scheduled for
August 12 (Aug 11, 2017)
The Embassy has received reports that an opposition march has been scheduled for Saturday, August 12th beginning at 11:00 a.m. in various locations throughout Caracas, including Chacao, El Hatillo, Parque Cristal, and Plaza de las Américas in Los Naranjos. The march will converge on Plaza Alfredo Sadel in Las Mercedes. U.S. Embassy diplomats have been advised to avoid these areas during this time.
The Embassy strongly cautions all U.S. citizens to avoid protest areas; even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Recent protests have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas and sometimes rubber bullets. U.S. citizens are urged to exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. Affected areas often experience traffic disruptions.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news and media stations for situational updates. U.S. citizens in all parts of Venezuela are urged to maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For more information:
- See the State Department’s travel website (http://travel.state.gov) for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Venezuela.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) (https://step.state.gov/step) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Venezuela, located at Calle F con Calle Surapure, Lomas de Valle Arriba, at +58 212-975-6411 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 0212-907-8400.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.