U.S. Embassy Caracas advises U.S. citizens visiting and living in Caracas that a gathering to mourn the death of Luis Manuel Diaz, will likely take place Sunday, November 29, beginning at 11:00 a.m. in Plaza Brion, Chacaito. Expect traffic disruptions and police presence in and around this location.
Even gatherings intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. We encourage U.S. citizens to avoid these areas, and exercise extra caution in the vicinity of any large gathering, protest, or demonstration.
We advise all U.S. citizens maintain their vigilance, practice good personal security measures, and stay abreast of current events that may impact their safety.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Venezuela.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Venezuela, located at Calle F con Calle Surapure, Lomas de Valle Arriba, at +58 212-975-6411 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 0212-907-8400.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.