International Parental Child Abduction

The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs assists in cases of international parental child abduction.  The Department of State places the highest priority on the welfare of children who have been abducted across an international border, and the Office of Children’s Issues is prepared to assist you in your efforts to return your abducted child to his or her country of habitual residence.  Please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit immediately at 0212-975-6411 if you feel your child was or may be taken abroad by the other parent without your consent.

The U.S. Department of State’s Office of Children’s Issues

You may also call the U.S. Department of State Office of Children’s Issues at 1-888-407-4747 (from within the U.S. and Canada) or +1 202-501-4444 (from overseas).  Please visit the Office of Children’s Issues website for more information about what assistance the Department of State can provide.

Preventing International Child Abduction

The Office of Children’s Issues offers tips to assist concerned parents.  To learn more about how to prevent abduction visit the Preventing Abduction website.  You can also enroll your child in the Department’s Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program, which will alert you when your child has been issued a U.S. passport.

The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction

Venezuela and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since January 1, 1997.  For information about the Hague process in Venezuela, please see the Department of State’s webpage on International Parental Child Abduction – Venezuela.