Victims of Crime

Being the victim of a crime in a foreign country can be a devastating and traumatic experience.  While no one can undo the emotional trauma, physical injury, or financial loss you may have experienced, the ACS Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Caracas stands ready to help.  Please call 0212-975-6411 during business hours (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) or 0212-905-8400 after business hours (5:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.) and ask for the ACS Unit.  Please visit the Department of State Help for U.S. Citizen Victims of Crime Overseas to better understand what assistance the Department and the embassy can provide.

The U.S. Embassy CAN:

  • Replace a stolen passport.
  • Contact family, friends, employers, or banking instution (s).
  • Obtain appropriate medical care.
  • Explain the local justice system.
  • Connect you to local or U.S.-based resources that assist victims of crime.
  • Obtain information about any local or U.S. victim compensation programs available.

The U.S. Embassy CANNOT:

  • Investigate crimes.
  • Provide legal advice or represent you in court.
  • Serve as official translators or interpreters.
  • Pay legal, medical or other fees for you.

Replace a Stolen Passport

If your passport has been stolen, please print and fill out form DS-64 (Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport) and the victim of a crime report and e-mail them to

Victim Compensation Programs

Most U.S. states have crime victim compensation programs and many of those offer assistance to their residents who are victims of crime overseas.  Often times, state compensation programs and insurance companies require a copy of a police report filed at the police station nearest the scene of the crime.  We recommend that you report any incident to the police as soon as possible.

Public Translation Services in Venezuela

Regrettably, the U.S. Embassy cannot provide any translation or interpretation service, nor can we assist you in filing the report, although we can inquire on the progress of any related investigation.  Please visit our list of translators accredited by the Venezuelan Ministry of Interior and Justice if you are looking for a translation service.

Legal Services in Venezuela

The U.S. Embassy cannot provide legal assistance or advice, but it does have a list of lawyers (PDF 417 KB) that are interested in providing services to U.S. citizens, should you wish to consult an attorney.

Medical Assistance

If you find yourself in need of medical assistance as a result of a crime, please see the embassy’s list of medical facilities in Caracas (PDF 533 KB) and medical facilities outside of Caracas. (PDF 227 KB)