The opposition has called for a general strike to occur Wednesday and Thursday of this week. We expect most businesses to be closed and movement for U.S. diplomats to be restricted to the Valle Arriba and Santa Fe areas. Similar hindrances to movement could persist beyond Thursday. We advise taking appropriate preparatory measures, including gathering enough food and water for 72 hours.
U.S. citizens are urged to avoid areas of demonstrations and to exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Clashes involving Venezuelan security forces are possible. Recent protests have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas and sometimes rubber bullets. Affected areas often experience traffic disruptions. During protests, travel for all U.S. diplomats is at times restricted to the Santa Fe and Valle Arriba areas in Caracas.
U.S. citizens are strongly encouraged to monitor local news constantly. Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news and media stations for situational updates. U.S. citizens in all parts of Venezuela are urged to maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For more information:
- See the State Department’s travel website (http://travel.state.gov) for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Venezuela.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) (https://step.state.gov/step) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Venezuela, located at Calle F con Calle Surapure, Lomas de Valle Arriba, at +58 212-975-6411 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 0212-907-8400.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.