U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE VENEZUELA AFFAIRS UNIT PUBLIC AFFAIRS SECTION
VAU PAS Request for Statements of Interest:
Annual Program Statement (Closed from August 05/2022)
Department of State
Notice of Funding Opportunity
Funding Opportunity Title: Venezuela Affairs Unit (VAU) PAS Request for Statements of Interest: Annual Program Statement (Closed from August 05/2022)
Funding Opportunity Number: FY2022VE001
Deadline for Applications: Proposals are accepted on a rolling basis and will be reviewed periodically
CFDA Number: 19.040 – Public Diplomacy Programs
Estimated total program funding: $500.000
Award Ceiling: $100,000
Award floor: $10,000
- PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
The Venezuela Affairs Unit (VAU) of the U.S. Department of State announces a Request for Statements of Interest (SOI) that strengthens people-to-people ties between the United States and the people of Venezuela through cultural, educational, technological, and media support programs that highlight shared values and promote a peaceful, democratic transition.
This is a two-part process. Applicants should first submit a SOI. This is not a full proposal, but a concise, one-to-three-page concept note designed to clearly communicate a program idea and its objectives before the development of a full proposal application. The VAU Public Affairs Section (PAS) will review SOIs and invite selected applicants to expand their ideas into full proposal applications.
Purpose of Public Diplomacy Grants:
PAS VAU invites proposals for communications, cultural, technological, and educational programs that support democratic initiatives and economic empowerment in Venezuela, highlight shared values, and promote bilateral cooperation. All programs must convey an element of U.S. culture, history, access to information in Venezuela, and/or shared values. Competitive proposals should also include a connection with U.S. experts, organizations, or institutions that will promote increased understanding of U.S. policy and perspectives and/or increased cooperation between the people of the United States and Venezuela even after the program has concluded.
Priority Program Areas:
PAS VAU will prioritize grant proposals that address the following themes:
- Cultural Projects: Cultural activities engage the public, especially youth, to bridge cultures, deepen cultural ties and understanding, discuss topics of importance, and promote the free exchange of ideas. The VAU is interested in supporting arts and culture projects that strengthen cultural ties between the United States and Venezuela. Examples of possible programs include writing workshops (including comics), artist collaborations, gaming workshops or programs, theatre/filmmaking/storytelling clubs, dance performances or competitions, or similar events and activities.
- Supporting freedom of speech and expression, including via civic education.
- Strengthening independent media and/or average Venezuelans’ access to information through media literacy, training, implementation of new technologies, and other engagement.
- Ensuring participation of citizens in the democratic process through education and outreach.
- Economic growth and entrepreneurship, particularly for marginalized women and youth..
- Supporting grassroots activism that promotes human rights, democratic governance, and/or addresses Venezuelan citizens’.needs due to the humanitarian crises.
- Promoting inclusive social development, particularly through empowering women and girls, persons with disabilities, and Afro-Venezuelans.
The following types of programs are not eligible for funding:
- Programs relating to partisan political activity;
- Charitable or development activities;
- Construction programs;
- Programs that support specific religious activities;
- Fund-raising campaigns;
- Lobbying for specific legislation or programs;
- Scientific research;
- Programs intended primarily for the growth or institutional development of the organization; or
- Programs that duplicate existing programs.
- Complete salaries for personnel.
- Programs for businesses or governmental organizations
Authorizing legislation, type, and year of funding:
The Statutory Authority for this program announcement is the Smith-Mundt Act. The source of funding is FY2020 Public Diplomacy Funding.
You can download here the document: VAU PAS Request for Statements of Interest
You can download here the SOI template: VAU PAS SOI template