Legal Permanent Residents without a Valid Card

Lawful permanent residents who have been outside of the United States for less than one year can apply for a transportation letter to return to the United States. To make an appointment with us please visit the Visa Information Center at  On the day of your interview, please bring the following to the embassy:

  • Completed and signed form I-131A (available at
  • Proof of fee payment
  • Your valid passport
  • Your green card (if expired or damaged)
  • One color photos on white background (5×5 cm or 2 inx2in)
  • Police report explaining the circumstances of the loss or theft (if applicable)
  • Applicants who were issued a conditional resident card valid for two years will need to bring an I-797

Receipt Notice from USCIS demonstrating that a petition to remove conditions of residence has been filed.

If your request for a transportation letter is approved, you will have to leave your passport at the embassy. Once ready, your passport will be returned to you through the selected Zoom office within two weeks.